Friday 30 May 2014

Marder III M (German Tank Destroyer) - 1/48 scale, Tamiya

This model of the Marder III M (German Tank Destroyer) was given to me by Ade as part of our ongoing Bolt Action desert project. Although the kit is 1/48 scale it is visually close enough to suit 28mm range of figures (which is generally quoted as being 1/56 scale).

From the Tamiya instruction sheet:

"During WWII, Germany produced many open-topped tank destroyers using the chassis of obsolete tanks. Among these was the Marder III series, which was based on the 38(t) tank made by the Czech company CKD (later BMM) and developed to counter Russian T-34 and KV-1 tanks."

As far as I know this type of tank destroyer didn't actually serve in north Africa but according to the info sheet the Marder III Ausf.M were painted in overall Dark Yellow, individual units then applied their own Red Brown and Dark Green camouflage patterns over the base colour to match local conditions. This particular model is finished with decals are for that of the '1st Company 348th Tank Destroyer Battalion, 348 Infantry Division, Belgium Spring 1944' and was painted in a simple two tone shade of yellow/sand. My logic was that I use this model in European or desert scenarios and it wouldn't look to out of place although I find it odd though that a unit serving in Belgium would opt for a simple dark yellow camouflage.

This model has been made as a gaming piece and not a military modelling display item. For instance I've left off certain items (I'm not telling you which bits though) but the initial idea was to paint and finish it as an example of simple weathering techniques. I videoed this process using various different methods to show how relatively simple is to produce half decent looking results. One technique I've never tried before was 'salt weathering' technique which is to use salt grains (I used model railway ballast as well) to produce a look of chipped paint. Another technique used was to apply weathering powers which achieves the look I always wondered about whenever I looked through military model magazines.
Note shiny exhaust. The black dots are actually a decal, something I only
noticed I had missed off after the model was finished (hence lack of matt varnish.)


The final video(s) will hopefully eventually feature on Ade's channel Wargaming For Fun.

On Monday I'll be announcing the start of a special giveaway/competition type thingy with a special prize for one lucky follower, so make sure you pop over to have a look (I know, I'm such a tease).

14 comments:

  1. Lovely work Matt, will you be painting up a crew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran,
      The only 'crew' that come with this kit is a rakish German standing idly about looking like he's going to smoke a fag.

      During a game I might try a squeeze a Perry DAK figure in there, although it is a bit tight in that crew compartment.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely painted Matt. I need to learn weathering techniques for my Rift War vehicles so I'll be looking forward to the video.

    All you'll have to do on Monday is put the word Give Away in the title and you'll swarmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, the salt technique is surprisingly easy to do, it just seems a bit odd when you first try it.

      Give-Away, Special and Competition are all in the title for Monday's post ;)

      Delete
  3. Excellent work! I do like a Marder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hendrid, it is quite a ugly beast but strangely attractive.

      Delete
  4. Great job despite there obvious weakness they are a great looking tank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I agree, an open turret doesn't seem a very good idea especially without decent air cover.

      Delete
  5. This Marder is beautiful, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, lovely work Mark - the weathering is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, the weathering came out better than I expected.

      Delete